Facts at a Glance
Name: Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute (formerly The National Technical School 49’-61’, Nassau Technical Institute 61’-65, Nassau Technical College 66’-68’, Nassau Technical College & Centre 68,-71’, C.R. Walker Technical College 74’-80’ and Industrial Training Centre 80’-95’)
School Population: Nassau Campus – 1,500 (full-time and part-time programmes) / Freeport Campus- 400 (part-time programmes)
Student to Faculty Ratio: 18:1
Faculty: 174 full time and part time lecturers
Programmes: 7 Associate of Applied Science, 2 Diplomas and variety of certificates in special interest courses
Affiliated: The Ministry of Education
- Daytona State College, Daytona Beach, Florida
- Lakeland College, Vermilion Alberta, Canada
- Vector Institute of Technology, Kingston, Jamaica
- New England Institute of Technology, Warwick, Rhode Island
- Fanshaw College, Ontario, Canada
- Lincoln College, West Palm Beach
Funding Source: Publicly funded institution
Mission: To provide learning opportunities that enables individuals to be globally competitive and economically independent.
The first technical school in the Bahamas was opened by Lord Liston on October 4th, 1949. It was located in Oakes Field and known as the National Technical School. Over the years, the name of the institute changed numerous times.
The Institute began in 1980 under the name Industrial Training Centre (ITC). During this time the intuition turned out a population of over 7,000 persons who had been trained at the Centre. The Centre at the time offered short courses and persons attending received a stipend from the Government. The Industrial Training Centre began with 225 students in shared facilities at the College of The Bahamas’ Solider Road Camus and at the C.C. Sweeting Senior High School Campus. The courses offered at both campuses were geared towards construction programmes. In 1995, the name was changed for a final time, from Industrial Training Centre (ITC) to its current name, The Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute (BTVI).
The Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute consists of two campuses- the main campus in Nassau and a satellite campus on the Island of Grand Bahama. The Nassau campus is situated on Old Trail Road and presently has twenty-six workshops and laboratories and seventeen classrooms which has the capacity of serving a population of up to 1500 students in its full-time and part-time programmes. The Freeport campus located on Peach Tree Street, which houses seven workshops, three laboratories and one classroom, which can accommodate up to 400 students.
BTVI delivers occupational training to diverse student population representing young high school graduates, non-completers, mature students and persons with varied academic backgrounds, training requirements and interests.
BTVI future plans are to be a semi-autonomous body governed by a Board. The Institution plans to extend its program offerings while increasing the level of program offerings.