The history of Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute (BTVI) dates back to 1949. The Institution has undergone several name changes and at one time was incorporated with another institution.
In 1980, the Institute was known by the name Industrial Training Centre (ITC) offering short courses and sharing facilities with the College of The Bahamas at its Old Trail location. However, in 1984 the Institute became the sole occupant.
In 1995, the name Industrial Training Centre was changed for a final time to The Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute.
Today Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute consist of two campuses – the main campus in Nassau and a satellite campus on the Island of Grand Bahama. BTVI also offers short programmes and courses in the Family Islands as it serves all members of the community and offers academic, technical, continuing education, corporate and community training opportunities in a wide range of programmes.